Thursday, August 22, 2013

Practice Blog Activity EDM 310

My name is Douglas R. Jarvis Jr. I am from Theodore, Alabama. I currently hold an AS from Bishop State Community College. For quite sometime , I have worked as a manager at Domino’s Pizza and while the money is actually pretty good, I have felt that there is so much more I could do. I decided in 2010 to go to school and begin working toward a degree in Biology and Secondary Education. In that time, I have spent seven weeks in ICU due to an ulcer in my inferior vena cava that nearly killed me, gone through a divorce and graduated from Bishop State. Needless to say the past few years have been difficult. I have learned about myself and found that if you want something badly enough you can achieve it. There is nothing in this world worth having that does not require hard work to obtain. The harder you work to achieve it, the sweeter it tastes when you reach your goal. Being an educator is both understanding and teaching others that everyday in our lives is classroom. We are graded on our decisions and our report cards are the quality of life we enjoy. I am very determined to achieve my goal of becoming a Biology teacher and the hardship I have faced is what drives me to reach a point in my life where I can feel like I am truly making a difference in the lives of young people. So many teachers in my childhood were checked out. However, there were those few that inspired me to fall in love with science. Mr. Angellette ( Theodore High School Chemistry) and Dr. Foster ( Bishop State Anatomy and Biology) both inspired me and encouraged me to believe I can be something more. I want to encourage and inspire children to believe in themselves and to love science. It saddens me when I see young people that have potential but, due to lack of belief in themselves are difficult circumstances they give up on their dreams. I truly believe that everyone is blessed with a gift from God that is hidden and only needs to be nourished for each person to reach their true destination in life. I love science and if I can open young people’s minds to the wonders in the natural world and inspire their curiosity to look deeper into the world they are a part of I would feel as though I am making a difference in the world. So many children get left behind in our current system. I want to help them realize their potential and help them to truly believe they can do great things . Not everyone is meat for college and that is okay. Perhaps they are meant to be great at a vocation. I do believe that everyone has the potential to be great at something and that part of a teacher’s job is to help them to learn to think for themselves and to ask questions so they can learn to find their path in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment